Linguistics, Cognitive Science
Office: RH 226
- Ph.D. Northwestern University; 1992
- B.A. Hope College, Holland, Michigan; 1982
- Linguistic Pragmatics
- Semantics/Pragmatics Interface
- Language and Meaning. 2018. Abingdon: Routledge. In press.
- Introduction to Pragmatics. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell (2013).
- With G. Ward. “Discourse Effects of Word Order Variation.” In K. von Heusinger, C. Maienborn, and P. Portner, eds., Semantics: An International Handbook of Natural Language Meaning. Berlin/Boston: Mouton de Gruyter, 2011. Vol. 2: 1934-1963.
- With G. Ward. “Information Structure and Syntactic Structure.” Language and Linguistics Compass (Vol. 3, June 2009).
- “Noncanonical Word Order and the Distribution of Inferrable Information in English.” In B. Shaer, P. Cook, and W. Frey, eds. Dislocation: Syntactic, Semantic, and Discourse Perspectives. Routledge, 2009.
- With J. Kaplan and G. Ward. “Functional Compositionality and the Interaction of Discourse Constraints.” Language 83.2: 317-343 (2007).
- With G. Ward, eds. Drawing the Boundaries of Meaning: Neo-Gricean Studies in Pragmatics and Semantics in Honor of Laurence R. Horn. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 2006.