Applied Linguistics, TESOL
Office: RH 320
- Ph.D. Louisiana State University; 1991
- M.A. Louisiana State University; 1988
- B.A. University of British Columbia; 1985
- English as a Second Language Pedagogy
- English as a Second Language Pedagogy, especially teaching pronunciation
- Bilingual and Multilingual Education
- 2018 CLAS Outstanding Faculty Award
- 2007 Patricia L. Francis Award for Service to the Department of English
- 2006 Fulbright Lectureship, Department of English Philology, University of Vilnius, Lithuania
- 1992 ACTFL-MLJ Paul Pimsleur Award for Research in Foreign Language Education (with George Yule)
- “Self-Assessed Professional Competence of the High School EFL Teachers in Toraja Indonesia.” International Journal of English Linguistics, Vol 8, No 2. Online December, 2017; in print April, 2018. (with Selvy Panggua, Basri Wello and Baso’ Jabu)
- “Reactions to Negotiated Interactions: Looking for Effects on Pronunciation” In Slishkin, G. G. (Ed.) Changing Communication in the Changing World, Vol. 2. Volgograd, Russia: Volgograd Academy of Government Service, Federal Education Agency. Summer 2008.
- "'If English is good enough for me': Revisiting elite and folk bilingualism in the US." Paper presented at the 39th Annual Conference of ACLA/CAAL, Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics. June 2008, Vancouver, BC.
- With M. Martinez. "Scaffolding and Teacher-talk variation: A case study of two grade three art classes." REVEL: Revista Virtual de Estudos da Linguagem, 3:5 August 2005.